Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A name with meaning.


I used to think my name was boring, dull, over used.... well, i still think WAY too many people have the name Melissa, especially Melissa Williams, but to be honest, I actually like my name now :)
Melissa, simply meaning Honey Bee.
Since I loved the Pacific Islands and wanted to live there for a long long time, I decided to find out what my name would be in Hawaiian, and it was "Melika"
THEN, while I was living in an Arabic country people found my name weird and hard to remember, so sometime I'd just say my name Malika. It's very similar to "Melika", yet in Arabic, it means "queen".

One lovely day, I was having a conversation with a friend, he asked me my last name. (I guess he figured it would be some weird Native name). The conversation went a little like this:
Friend: What your last name?
Me: umm, Williams... nothing exciting... pretty common
Friend: an English name? Aren't you full Native?
Me: Yep, but i guess when the "white" people came over, they had trouble with our names, and some were changed into something easy to remember. I am Williams
Friend: hmm, good name.
Me: i guess.?
Friend: It means "son of william"
Me: that makes sense
Friend: but William was a king, so its son of a king. well, i guess daughter to you.

Thus saying: I am a Queen, and the Daughter of the King :)

OH! i almost forgot, my Native name is Waawaaskonehs, meaning "little flower"
What does my name mean again?

No comments: